Beauty and Asthetics
Beauty, wealth, intoxicants and all material desires are only temporary.
Indulgence does not bring peace to the mind or the soul. Not in this
life, nor after death.
- Make contentment your ear-rings, humility your begging bowl, and
meditation the ashes you apply to your body.
mu(n)dhaa sa(n)thokh saram path jholee dhhiaan kee karehi bibhooth ||
Guru Nanak, Page 6
- She is beautiful, who upon her forehead
wears the Jewel of God's love.
naaree a(n)dhar sohunee musuthak munee
Guru Nanak, Page 54, Line 8
- Wealth and beauty lasts only
but a numbered days
dhhun jobun ar fulurraa naat(h)eearrae dhin chaar ||
Guru Nanak, Page 23, Line 5
- God's court retains an account of all deeds. Only the beauty of the
Naam can save a soul.
Guru Nanak, page 109, Line 12
- Without the name of God even beautiful and handsome people are as ugly
as the hunch-backs.
Kabeer, Vaar 3, Pauree 25
- In the company of the gurmukhs neither the wealth and physical beauty
of others is seen nor is backbiting committed.
Gurmukh par dhhan roop ni(n)dh n goeeai||
Bhai Gurdaas Ji, Vaar Bhai Gurdaas, page 19